The team at Watervale Hotel are passionate about fresh local food and Clare Valley produce.
The Gardens & Orchard
The property directly across the main road from the Watervale Hotel was acquired in 2018 by Warrick and Nicola.
The top part of the property has been developed into herb garden, edible flower garden and native food and flower garden. Giving the chefs at the Hotel a beautiful fresh resource.
The orchard has been restored through pruning and irrigation to former glory and is already producing increased crops of beautiful produce that you will see on the plate and in jars at the Watervale Hotel & Watervale Cellars.
The imposing elm has been decorated with fairy lights for night time appreciation from the veranda as well as to light the path to the Hotel carpark.
The Butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker
This property has had a rich history throughout the life of the town of Watervale.
Town Vegetable Gardens – In the lower flat down towards the creek now shared between our property and the neighbouring vineyard was a substantial vegetable garden which was first planted in around 1851.
The Mill – The Mill was built & operated by the Greenslades who also had the Hotel during this time. After her husband Charles death in 1863, it was Ester Greenslade who was the licencee during the time of the building of the ‘Hell Hole’ jail and also changed the name of the Hotel from the Stanley Arms to the Watervale Hotel, both of these happening in 1868. The imposing Mill which was also opened in 1868 has since gone, and the Mill site of two acres was developed as a small orchard.
The Butcher and Baker – In the late 1800’s a Butcher Shop and Bakery was located at 6 Quelltaler Road. The Butcher was there for around 50 years and it was Mr Guthrie, the third owner who in 1913 saved travellers from the fire that burnt the Watervale Hotel.
The Candlestick Maker – In later years Mr Sullivan used the property and small shed for his bee business, using the shed to remove wax from the hives.